USS Crater (AK-70)
Lambert M. SurhoneISBN: 978-3-6399-9864-1;
The USS Crater (AK-70) was the lead ship of the Crater-class of converted liberty ship cargo ships in the service of the United States Navy in World War II. Named after the southern hemisphere constellation Crater, it was the only ship of the Navy to bear this name. Crater was laid down 28 August 1942 as liberty ship SS John James Audubon (MCE hull 420) by Permanente Metals Corporation, Yard No. 2, Richmond, California, under a Maritime Commission contract. She was launched 8 October 1942, sponsored by Mrs. M. E. C. Wetzel and transferred to the Navy 22 October 1942. Crater was commissioned 31 October 1942, with Lieutenant Commander R. Dodd, USNR, in command.
- OZON.ru 1921