NRS Newport Corner
Lambert M. SurhoneISBN: 978-6-1320-0256-3;
NRS Newport Corner was established by the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) in 1942 in the St. Croix River valley in Newport Corner, 50 kilometres northwest of NRS Albro Lake near the rural hamlet of Brooklyn. NRS Newport Corner was a sub-unit of NRS Albro Lake and functioned as the primary transmitting facility, while the receiving facility was located at Albro Lake. A landline connected the two operations. A secondary transmitter was co-located at NRS Albro Lake should the connection to NRS Newport Corner fail. The callsign for NRS Albro Lake (which was responsible for both facilities) was "CFH" and the combined construction cost was $6 million. NRS Newport Corner was a critical component in the success of the RCN and its allies in the Battle of the North Atlantic; it could transmit to locations halfway across the world, stretching from Murmansk, Russia to the Falkland Islands.
- OZON.ru 1921