Ventnor West Railway Station
Lambert M. SurhoneISBN: 978-6-1320-0288-4;
Ventnor West station was opened on 1 June 1900 as the final addition to the railway network on the Isle of Wight. It was originally opened as Ventnor Town but the station was renamed in 1923 by the Southern Railway.The station built on the former stables of the Steephill Castle estate, was inconveniently situated for the town, being some distance west of the town centre and 168 feet above sea level. Consequently it never lived up to the expectations of the operators and was an early casualty of the pruning of the railway network. The station closed along with the others on the line on 15 September 1952. Today the main station building is still standing, surrounded by modern housing in Castle Close.
- OZON.ru 1665