USS Curtiss (AV-4)
Lambert M. SurhoneISBN: 978-6-1320-0632-5;
USS Curtiss (AV-4) was a seaplane tender of the United States Navy. The ship was launched on 20 April 1940 by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation of Camden, New Jersey, sponsored by Mrs. H. S. Wheeler, and commissioned on 15 November 1940, Commander S. P. Ginder in command. Curtiss operated out of Norfolk and in the Caribbean for training and in fleet exercises through the spring of 1941. Curtiss was one of fourteen ships to receive the early RCA CXAM-1 RADAR. On 26 May she got underway for Pearl Harbor from which she served on patrol as well as tending two patrol bomber squadrons. From 15 October to 9 November she voyaged to Wake Island carrying aviators, air-crewmen, and cargo to reinforce the garrison there.
- OZON.ru 1921