USS Satyr (ARL-23)
Lambert M. SurhoneISBN: 978-6-1329-2610-4;
USS Satyr (ARL-23) was one of 39 Achelous-class landing craft repair ships built for the United States Navy during World War II. Named for the Satyr (a sylvan deity in Greek mythology), she was the only U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name. Originally laid down as LST-852 on 16 August 1944 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Company of Seneca, Illinois; launched on 13 November 1944; and commissioned on 27 November 1944 with Lieutenant Wm. J. Gavigan, USNR, in command. Following her initial commissioning, LST-852 proceeded to Jacksonville, Florida where she was decommissioned on 28 December 1944; was converted to a landing craft repair ship; and recommissioned as USS Satyr (ARL-23) on 28 April 1945.
- OZON.ru 1665